Tuesday, February 19, 2013

In memory

Grandaddy passed away on Valentines Day. His time to go was finally at hand. His passing was not unexpected, but it saddened us all the same. We did rejoice that he made it to Heaven to spend Valentines both with his savior and with his sweetheart of many years. His funeral was not a sad affair. We shared many fun memories of him. I might have made it through the service without crying if it weren't for what Dennis did. I handed him a pen and paper from the back of the church pew when he became extra wiggly, and he used the paper to write a heartfelt and beautiful farewell note to Grandaddy. He wrote "Grandaddy I love you. You wood play with me." The spelling wasn't perfect but the sentiment was. He drew a picture of the two of them together. He very much wanted to share his note and somehow get it to Grandaddy. They opened the casket just the tiniest bit at the cemetery and let him slide the note in. It was so sweet and so perfect a gesture for a small boy, and he was very serious and solemn about it.

Dennis did delight in the fact that Gran & Pop returned from Belize for the weekend. He spent two nights with them and so enjoyed their company. I even let him miss school on Monday so that he'd have time with them. When trying to arrange a time to meet up with them, Dennis texted me and invited me to join them at "wofel house" and I agreed to do so. I asked when I should meet them there and he replied "when we get ther", and when I asked when that would be he replied "in a minit." Phonetic texting. It makes me smile. I sure do love that kid.

No comments: