Friday, May 10, 2013

Show-off

Dennis attended a church event for 5th & 6th graders tonight. It was big fun for him, especially since they were having shaving cream battles and wrestling in jello. After an hour, they all went in to clean up and change, and while they were eating, they all got out their iPods and phones. Dennis went to the car and got his phone, too. It caused a stir, as it always does. "YOU have an iPhone? And you're in what, KINDERGARTEN?" followed by, "Mrs. Christi, is that really his phone?". Yes, I tell them. I give the reasons, as usual. It was cheaper than an iPod touch or any of the Leap Frog learning devices. He can Face Time or text his grandparents, who are in another country. He always hogged our iPhones before he got one. Sure, there are infinite numbers of learning apps. Sure, I can call him if he's in the men's room too long. It has its benefits.

He told me in the car on the way home that he loves it when kids react that way to him having a phone, especially an iPhone. It reminds him of how fortunate he is. And it makes him feel cool enough to hang with the bigger kids. He's always kind enough to let others play with it, so I fear a little less that we are teaching him rampant materialism. He's very excited that he has a Bible app that he can read on his phone.

There, I think I've convinced myself that I'm not a terrible parent. iPhones are just terribly useful devices, and I'm glad that he enjoys it.

No comments: