Saturday, April 13, 2013

serving

I'm so proud of Dennis for participating in the community's Great Day of Service. We had been scheduled to help clean the city cemetery, but we were moved to the elementary school instead. I'm so glad we worked there. What a wonderful outdoor space the children have now! In addition to the outdoor classroom area, we finished the greenhouse, put in a butterfly garden, hung birdhouses, repaired the bicycles that the children get to ride, put in a fish pond, and built a labyrinth with a birdbath at the center. We planted fruit trees, hung giant colorful metal butterflies on the trees, and put out bird feeders all over. By "we" I mean the 20+ volunteers that worked there today. Dennis and I worked on the labyrinth, moving bricks around and securing them in the pattern that was sprayed on the ground and then dug. I feel good that we improved their play space, but I'm even more thrilled that my son gets to spend time learning in this wonderful space!



No comments: